Thursday, September 16, 2021

Night Janitors at the College

We were the misfits working third shift cleaning those places that were too busy to be tackled during the daytime.

Buffing the terrazzo floors.

Wiping fingerprints from glass doors.

 

Ray – who carried his own thermos full of coffee even though there was an unlimited amount of fresh, hot coffee in the breakroom. No one ever checked his thermos even though we all knew that there was something besides coffee inside it.

 

Frank – who would check the air filters in the service tunnels on a nightly basis. He took me with him a few times to show me how to change the filters should the need ever arise. He also showed me the best place to sit and smoke a joint, where no one would ever find you should the need ever arise. 

 

Me – I worked nights so I could make enough money to take a few classes each semester. I was the person  who let the students who slept in their cars use the showers in the gym each night. I was also the student who used the showers each night when I had to sleep in my car after getting fired for letting students use the showers each night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment