Friday, August 27, 2021

Letter of Apology/Forgiveness

It started as an apology

from a father to a son

for the times I wasn’t there when I should have been

and for the times I was there

when you needed to figure it out on your own.

I hope my diligence to have you do better

was never taken to mean you weren’t good enough.

For the times I didn’t say. ‘I love you’

when you really needed to hear it.

For the times when my silence

may have been mistaken as a lack of caring

when really I was scared

because I didn’t know how to help you.

For all the times that I was proud of you

but I never really learned how to show it.

That’s when I realized

this was more than an apology

from a father to a son.

It was also a note of forgiveness

from a son to a father. 

No comments:

Post a Comment