Monday, April 11, 2022

Because She Asked

 

As the pandemic progressed she opted for homeschooling

because “remote learning” wasn’t really working for her.

She was struggling with the demands of being a second grader

during those uncertain times. She spent three or four days a week

at Grampa’s house doing Science, Math and English.

One afternoon during our lunchbreak she had a serious look on her face as she said,

“Grampa, can I ask you a question?”

“Of course”, I answered.

“Grampa, if I get the virus and I “…

She didn’t want to use the word “die” so, she simply stopped mid-sentence

and pointed to the sky.

“if I go up there…will you go with me? ”

Choking back a tear I quickly responded.

“Yes, of course I’ll go with you.”

What else could I say?

1 comment:

  1. A child should have nothing more dire to worry about than who she will play with on any given day. Sadly the pandemic has affected even the youngest in ways that are hard to fathom. We will be seeing the residuals of this for many years to come. She is lucky to have a grandpa that would go through the gates of hell for her.

    ReplyDelete