Wednesday, March 2, 2022

City Hall

 

I was a second grader

and knew nothing of politics

or the importance of history.

I knew only of the excitement

of watching a wrecking ball

smashing into a huge, four story building

made of granite blocks.

I knew nothing about Eminent Domain

or the Interstate Highway System.

I knew the glee of a seven year old

watching a bucket loader filling

dump trucks with demolition debris.

“I guess that’s one way to fight City Hall.” someone yelled.

Peopled laughed.

I didn’t understand the meaning of that statement but I laughed too.

I didn’t get the symbolism of the building in front of me being destroyed.

I do remember one detail which I still question to this day.

As the wrecking ball took out a huge section out of the third floor wall a bathroom became exposed.

There was a large, claw foot bathtub teetering on the edge of the opening.

I asked my grandfather why they would have a bathtub in City Hall.

“Politics is a dirty business.” is all he said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment